This year’s delayed onset of Spring has caused allergy symptoms to be especially bad this time around for Toronto seasonal allergy sufferers. Here are my top 5 tips on how to beat your allergies this season:
- Drink stinging nettle tea – Stinging nettle (urtica dioica) is known for it’s anti-inflammatory, anti-histamine and diuretic properties, making it a popular natural remedy for allergy symptoms. Do a strong steep overnight for a more enhanced effect.
- Increase your omega-3 consumption – Omega-3 fatty acids help to reduce inflammation through it’s anti-inflammatory effects. You can get omega-3 fatty acids from fish oil supplementation, or through dietary sources such as flaxseeds, chia seeds, salmon, walnuts, and soy products.
- Clean up the diet – Reducing foods high in sugar, avoiding processed and fatty foods, and eliminating food sensitivities can help to reduce inflammation, which in turn will help to decrease the severity of your seasonal allergy symptoms. Contact me if you want to learn more about how to determine what your food sensitivities are.
- Take a probiotic – Ensuring a healthy gut flora will help to maintain a strong immune system and will also reduce inflammation in the body by preventing the growth of bad bacteria in the gut.
- Do a liver detox – Your liver is the most important detoxification organ in the body. Doing a detox (especially in the Spring) will help to support the liver’s natural ability to excrete toxins and waste products from the body, which can exacerbate seasonal allergy symptoms.
Beat your allergies this season by following these 5 tips and be ready to fully enjoy what this spring and summer has to offer!
* Always consult with a Naturopathic Doctor before starting a new supplement or herbal treatment to determine what is appropriate for you *
| Dr. Rachel Vong, Naturopathic Doctor |